Old 08-17-2004, 05:37 AM   #13
Peter Seth
Dojo: Zanshin. Sunderland University
England
Smile Re: Blindly searching for the path of Aikido

Quote:
Sammy Luna wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I am a beginner. I would like to learn training techniques and meditative practices for when I am at home.
I am in the military, and cannot always make it to a dojo, sometimes for months at a time. So if someone would explain to me ways I can practice alone, I would greatly appreciate it.
I know this is possible, because I read that O'sensei would be alone for weeks at a time. What would he do to meditate and practice his techniques?
I am not looking to be a hero or anything. I just want to be peaceful within myself, so that I can share it with my fellowman(or woman).
I want to become one with the universe by developing my "ki"
I want to be so in tune to everything around me that I would never need a "feint" or "shoman" strike to unbalance my attacker.
I want to be able to enter and blend with an attacker so well that I do not even have to touch him to calm them down. Actually, I hope I blend enough so that I dont get attacked in the first place.
I hope someone will lead me in the right direction. I am not afraid to walk the path, I just need to know where the path is.

Thanks in advance for any help that is provided.
Hi sammy.
This may be a little controversial but, try Tai Chi. Though this is perceived as a 'chinese' form it is in my research along with other chinese arts, one of the main influences on O'sensei's development of Aikido. He spent a lot of time in China and was heavily influenced by their MArts culture - the subtle understanding of energy, flow and direction - becoming one with the rythm af the universe etc. I have recently had the priviledge of having instruction from Master Ma Boa Gua a Chen style Kung Fu master who has been visiting my area of NEast England (he has also taken part in two charity Martial Arts events for Cancer Research Uk which I organised). He initially made comment about my Aikido being 'Too Big' and went on to show me his form of very compact and extremely effective techniques. Nearly everything he did was 'Aiki' and a more compact version of standard Aikido techniques. (You can see where lots of aikido techniques come from)!
Basically it was the same principles but his Ki/Chi was much more subtle and powerful - which he put down to Tai Chi practice. Find a good instructor when you can and learn the basics which you can then take away and practice by yourself.
You will 'feel' the connection and realise that ALL martial arts are connected to this common thread. The appropriate and controlled use of the available energy - its flow - its direction and balanced dissipation. = AIKI.