View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004, 03:48 AM   #20
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan
Re: Talking too much

This is something that I've thought alot about both as a student and as an instructor. Its really difficult to tell how much talking is good or needed in any given class.

An instructor balances many different levels and personalities within a given class. They have to find a balance that gives all people in the class the opportunity to learn the best way *for that student*. Sometimes a lot of talking and explanation of what and why is important. At other times the physical repetition of a technique time after time after time again is the best thing for the majority of the class. And of course there are those classes that fall in between.

I feel that from a student point of view the best way to get out of the "my instructor is talking too much" mindset is is to find a like-minded partner and agree with them to train and to train hard. Don't ask questions of the instructor while doing the technique. Don't even make questioning eye contact. Don't stop to talk with your partner about how they felt while you did the technique or while they are doing the technique to you. Just train. Hard, strong atemi. Good kiai. Quickly up to start again. Your instructor should figure out whats going on and leave you be until you make a mistake that has to be corrected.

On the other hand, I suggest listening carefully when your instructor goes on and on about a technique or a concept. He or she is giving out pearls of wisdom and analogies that just might make it easier for you to understand what's going on. Or give you an insight into something you've already experienced. Or at least give you something to remember so that you can figure out something new a little sooner. That's what they're there for...to give you an opportunity to learn from their experience and their training. Don't ignore half of what they give.

My last point. The talking "maybe about Aikido" at the back of the class is completely unacceptable. IMHO, the instructor should use these people for uke for a few extreme Aikido moments to make sure they are paying attention. Any unsolicited comment (as opposed to respectfully asking permission to ask a question or make an observation) should be treated the same way.

Sharing my few thoughts,

--Michael

Last edited by maikerus : 08-16-2004 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Missed a word

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs