View Single Post
Old 08-07-2004, 04:37 PM   #43
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Re: When you bow do you worship or just...

Quote:
Chuck Gordon wrote:
And therein lies the path taken when we discard bowing, trade dogi for sweats and t-shirts, ignore Japanese terminology, start mixing in things from other traditions without fully having a grasp of the original art or the add-ins.
Chuck,

Thanks for answering. Again, I agree with everything you wrote. However, if you don't mind, I'd like to play the Devil's advocate.

Morihei Ueshiba undoubtably mixed things in from other traditions. His religious beliefs were unusual in the martial arts world of his time and are even more so now. They caused him a lot of trouble. And I think that if he were alive now and walked into a room talking the way he did, most Japanese, including most Aikido practioners, would start sniffing for the sarin gas on their way out of the room.

Would it be wrong for an Native American Aikido teacher (just for example) to ask his students to use Lakota (or whatever) equivilents that accurately conveyed what the Japanese words intended? What if he/she expressed his/her understanding of Amenomurakumo-kukisamuhara-ryuu-ookami in terms of The Great Spirit?

I pose these questions because I really don't know (although I have some ideas) and I'm interested in your or other's opinions.

Charles Hill