View Single Post
Old 08-06-2004, 01:25 PM   #40
Magma
Re: When you bow do you worship or just...

Chris Li -

"Oh, I understood [YMMV]. Does that mean that I can't comment on the other parts?"

I quoted your entire post, save for the closing, wherein you only quoted one line of mine. What more did you wish to comment on?

Which part of my original post did you think was not covered by the YMMV comment I tagged on to the end? Which of it would you consider blatant opinion that I had not acknowledged with the YMMV? If you intended to comment on another part of my post, perhaps you should have, though I assure you it was all covered under the YMMV tag.

The point of posting here is to share these reasonable held opinions and to read other reasonably held opinions... to share knowledge and discover knowledge. To that end, I post, hoping to cause someone of a different perspective to raise questions in why they do what they do. Why, for instance, must a bow before the shomen wall be any different than respect? Be any different to bowing before working with a partner? Be any different than bowing before working with a weapon? Or, at the very least, be any different than a stretch (if the participant wished it to be so empty)?

If they still have a different opinion after I raise these questions with them, that's their prerogative.

However, not all stances are equal in all things. There is an objective truth to the question of if a person does worship by kneeling and bending over. The trick is that this is determined in the person's mind before the question is even formed. If they believe that they do, then they do. If they can get past that and believe that they do not, then they do not.

Or should we say to someone that they are indeed worshipping when they do not believe they are? Should we say to someone that they are worshipping when they type on a keyboard? When they sing? When they dance? When they close their eyes and rest? Absurd. The person answers for themselves if they are worshipping.

After all, that's their opinion.

Tim
It's a sad irony: In U's satori, he forgot every technique he ever knew; since then, generations of doka have spent their whole careers trying to remember.