View Single Post
Old 08-06-2004, 07:47 AM   #47
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Re: Poll: Do you think people should receive ranking in aikido for reasons outside of their technical ability?

Hanna, until your last set of posts, yes, I did get the impression that your were in favour of receiving rank on non-technical aspects as you indicated no problem with rank being awarded for just turning up. Now your definition seems to indicate that technical ability is inherent in length of service to the dojo, which is why you have no objections to this practice?

As regards to your objections to gradings- fine. I was using gradings as the example for gaining rank rather than gradings equal wonderful. I should have stuck to the original definition which was rank - in which case my position stands. Until x-dan, rank = technical ability. After that, rank = whatever the assoc seems to deem important.

Minor point - I said the higher grades become the teachers, not necessarily the highest. Having said that, if the highest never teaches (even if they're a poor teacher), I don't think I'd stay with that dojo.