View Single Post
Old 08-04-2004, 09:53 PM   #27
James Finley
United_States
Re: Poll: Do you think people should receive ranking in aikido for reasons outside of their technical ability?

I think we need to determine what Aikido's primary goal really is.

Did O'Sensei feel that mastering the physical techniques is the primary goal of Aikido and that character and/or spiritual development is of secondary importance?

Or, did O'Sensei place character and/or spiritual development as the primary goal of Aikido and choose to utilize the physical techniques as a means to this end?

If it was the former, then technical ability should be the most important factor IMHO. If it was the latter, then technical ability is only one of many factors that must be considered, and not necessarily the most important one. Some extraordinary individuals may achieve O'sensei's goal with little or no technical ability in the latter case.

O'Sensei never said that Aikido is a "martial art" as is often claimed. He said it was a budo. These two terms are not synonymous in my experience. I do not feel that Aikido could be classified as a budo at all if its primary purpose was fighting or self defense ability.

These are just my opinions. If you disagree, that's fine. I'm just trying to create some food for thought here. James.

Last edited by James Finley : 08-04-2004 at 09:59 PM.