View Single Post
Old 08-04-2004, 01:07 AM   #20
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan
Re: Technically proficient/Tactically sound

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote:
What if a nage who is highly skilled in atemi-waza can execute the technique WITHOUT any atemi?
Then I'd have to say that the atemi wasn't needed.

I've found that most of what we do is to lead up to the next part of a movement until there is no place else to go (final lock, pin or throw). Atemi is one way to start that process, or to affect your opponent during a technique. If your opponent is already moving in the direction you want them to then I would suggest not distracting them and have them possibly start to move in a direction you don't want them to go.

My opinion is that if the atemi takes 'em out then the technique is over. Use it when you need your opponent to do something or move somewhere they aren't already going. If you don't need it, then don't use it. Techniques that consistantly start with an atemi or have atemi taught within the technique have it there for a reason.

During training it's probably not a good idea to try and take a person out with every atemi (after all, it will be their turn next) but make sure they know that they should have blocked.

Just a thought or maybe even two...

--Michael