View Single Post
Old 08-01-2004, 05:27 AM   #6
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido
Re: Aikijujutsu - ow ow ow

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
I would say I don't see anything on that page that can't be practiced in Aikido and actually is in some circles. Nor do I think that some of O'Sensei students didn't get it with level three. Daito Ryu is great stuff but it's not a deeper well than Aikido no matter how much some proponents may like to claim that. It's goals are simply different. Not goals that I am particularly interested in, but others are and that's fine as long as it does not become some kind put down game over something that is really very subjective.

The actual level three techniques are quite unusual and not usually shown to the public. Most Daito ryu practitioners aren't shown the techniques until they have been in the art for 15 or 20 years. I've seen my share of aikido like you have Craig but I've never seen techniques like those before. I also had a basic explanation given to me and the principles are different from what we use. I had a chance to experience and challenge them and I can honestly say I have never seen or felt that kind of technique in Aikido and I have seen all of the major instructors in this country. I am not claiming an inherent superiority of Daito ryu. I am merely standing by my original statement. The reason I said what I did about O Sensei is because I have read from so many people that he threw them in a way that they couldn't understand and they hardly felt anything or similar statements like that. What I saw fits that description. Realizing that Sokaku Takeda probably showed him some of those techniques, I realized that he would have had quite an advantage over "regular" people if he kept that to himself. It may be a reason he wouldn't repeat techniques other than the standard reasons given.

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."