Thread: Aki-Jitsu
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2001, 02:15 AM   #2
Kami
Dojo: ShinToKai DoJo of AiKiDo
Unhappy AKIJUTSU(?) AND AIKIDO

Quote:
The One wrote:
I recently started taking lessons in a style called "Aki-Jitsu". It is an ecclectic of many systems and styles of martial arts including aikido, judo, karate, wing chun, and tai chi.
What I would like to ask is, what do you guys think of a school that teaches a form of aikido combined with the kicks and strikes and different concepts from karate and wing chun? Would you consider them non aiki? How effective or traditional would you think the aikido in this form would be?
KAMI : I really don't know...Morihei Ueshiba Kaiso created a system (Aikido) based on Daito-Ryu Aikijujutsu, Goto Ha Yagyu Shingan Ryu and a few other arts and he used permanently a lot of atemi(just look at the book BUDO by John Stevens). Also it has been said that the Kaiso spoke : "Aikido is 90% atemi"...
The only problem I see is the kind of atemi (there are many. Some adapt easily to Aikido, some do not). Apparently Ueshiba Okina used atemi from Yagyu Shingan Ryu.
Perhaps this will help you
Best regards

"We are all teachers, and what we teach is what we need to learn, and so we teach it over and over again until we learn it".
Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara