View Single Post
Old 07-27-2004, 08:36 AM   #1
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom
One student who doesn't understand

(This is a cross post from a reply I sent to the Anonymous forum.)

I need some suggestions to help a student. His physical interpretation of what he is shown / told / gets done to him is to yank uke around like a rag doll, preferably as painfully (to uke) as possible. He says he doesn't understand what he's supposed to be doing. I don't believe there's any malice in his actions, just pure non-comprehension. Having tried (and failed) to teach him visually, telling him what to do, and by having him feel the technique, I have no idea how to help this student. I think that all I can do is try to prevent him from unintentionally hurting the other students. This student has been training (albeit irregularly) for over a year.

What his barrier to learning is I can only speculate. (And it's not just me, he's the same with all the other instructors he's been taught by). The trouble is, I don't want to spend too much time on this one student to the detriment of the rest of the class.

I'm hoping and praying that he won't turn up when I'm teaching (I'm temporarily filling in for the regular class sensei at this student's dojo [not mine]). If he does, I'd like to have a plan to deal with him!

It has been suggested that I ask him to do everything slowly, so I'll certainly try that.

Any other suggestions gratefully received

Ruth