View Single Post
Old 03-22-2001, 05:53 AM   #68
Sam
Dojo: Kyogikan Sheffield
I'd like to make a different point about traditional aikido rather than tomiki aikido as I seem to spend a lot of time defending it from critisism I would like to be critical myself for a change.
I have gone to quite a few aikikai and yoshinkan training courses and I have no problem with the technical quality of the techniques, however I have found that the students of those styles have very strengthy and aggressive technique.
In tomiki aikido students learn not to use strength because in randori it hinders your performance to such an extent that often it only takes a few rounds of light shiai before that persons outlook is completely changed.
How without randori is it possible to achieve this end?
I also have found that a main difference between tomiki and traditional styles is that students of tomiki style are interested in techniques so as to improve their randori as well as embu. I found traditional style practise to be so obsessed with the martial connotations of each stand alone technique that sometimes the feel of that technique is lost in the 'if you make a mistake I will take advantage of it' mindset. Also the freedom to 'trust the technique' is lost if your uke takes this attitude.
I cannot help but think that if they had randori training there would be an outlet for this and the contsant need to prove oneself and dominate each other would disappear. Then training would probably be much more productive and pleasant.

Please do not take offense as what I have said, as it only relates to my personal experiences and is not a critisism of the quality of traditional aikido, only the learning system.
Instead of taking the view point of ' how can aikido include competition' I wonder if it can survive without it?