View Single Post
Old 07-10-2004, 03:39 PM   #24
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Tales of Judo Sparring Aikidoists

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
I honestly think you guys must be dealing with some subpar Judoka if you are able to shut them down that easy. You might also want to take into consideration that these Judoka may be taking it easy on you as well, we deliberately do not beat down new people who are just starting Judo.

And the only thing that allows me to believe Larry Camejo's story is that he practices Tomiki Aikido where there is randori and Judo techniques are practiced often. He is also a Nidan in that style of Aikido.

I honestly believe the average Aikidoka has almost no chance against the average Judoka. Aikidoka that can beat a Judoka have one or more of the following characteristics 1) They also practice Judo, BJJ, wrestling or Shodokan Aikido. 2) They are very big, strong, or both 3) Have alot more years of martial arts experience than the Judoka.

Hmm, I don't fit that profile, I'm a skinny little guy and (when I was practicing Judo) had not had all that much experience in other martial arts and only 3 or 4 years in Aikikai Aikido. FWIW, I didn't have too much trouble holding my own against people of a similar level of experience (theirs in Judo, mine in Aikido) when we were standing up, although my size told against me on the ground. The Judo was certainly not subpar - our instructor had coached both the Japanese and US Olympic teams.

Best,

Chris