View Single Post
Old 06-27-2004, 05:05 PM   #23
David Edwards

Dojo: Genbukan, Macclesfield
United Kingdom
Re: When you bow do you worship or just...

Quote:
Boon Soh wrote:
Dear friends,

In Iceland, you greet each other by rubbing nose...
Just on a cultural matter, before addressing the main issue of this thread.... I read that, and mentioned it to an Icelandic friend of mine (having lived in Iceland all her life, yes)... who says that she's never heard or seen that, and that Icelandic people just greet by shaking hands / saying hello / etc. What weird and outlandish customs these far-out little cultures have, hey?

On the main issue of this thread, I'll just copy'n'paste what I wrote in the "Aikido and being a Christian" thread:

What I have mainly to offer new to this discussion: on the subject of bowing to a portrait of O Sensei (as is traditional in my own dojo, and throughout at least the three biggest associations in this country). Jesus was questioned about whether or not they, the Jews, should pay taxes to Caesar. Jesus asks them to bring him the coin they use to pay, and they bring him a denarius, and he asks whose portrait is on it, whose inscription. They answer "Caesar's". Thus he says to them "So give to God what is God's, and Caesar what is Caesar's"

Thus I say, give to God the respect that is due to him, and give to O Sensei the respect that is due to him. We know perfectly well that bowing in this context is a sign of respect, not worship. And if we do... All-knowing God certainly does, and understands perfectly.

It's a kind of magic