View Single Post
Old 06-13-2004, 10:57 AM   #22
Hanna B
Sweden
Re: Aikido is still violent......?

Quote:
Jordan Steele wrote:
You can't be a great martial artist without atemi. I'm tired of hearing people think they can just dance with an opponent and never strike them or think it's possible to never strike an opponent.
If you are superior enough, I think this is quite possible. Is this not what osensei did in the famous kendo duel with the navy officer? If you can learn this without striking, if you can choose not to use violence if you have actually never learned to use it - that is another question entirely.

Quote:
Jordan Steele wrote:
Just get over it. Aikido is not a fairy tale, it is simply another martial system that is just as deadly, if not more so than anything else out there. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
I have to respectfully disagree. Aikido is a gendai budo in which most of the deadliness has been taken out of the system. Aikido is not what the samurai used; it is developed from samurai technique, but many things have been changed for safety, for protection of uke etc. If you think striking is a good tool for your purposed, then you can choose another type of Japanese jujutsu or jujutsu-derived system where they strike more frequently to make technique easier, and make life a whole lot easier for yourself.

To me, using a minimum of violence is kind of the difinition of aikido - in the ideal case, no violence at all or in a way so that uke does not feel violated. Ideal cases seldom happens, though.