View Single Post
Old 06-11-2004, 08:58 AM   #15
Chad Sloman

Dojo: Aikido of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
United_States
Re: Respect for the Art of Aikido

Quote:
David Yap wrote:
The spirituality of aikido (or any martial art) is about yourself. I think it is that simple (no cockiness intended )

I am sure you had been frustrated at various time with yourself, your uke or even with your instructor from the "doing". Ever stop to wonder why?

For the believers, you can truly find God when you have found yourself.

Regards
I'm not sure what you mean by this....... I am philosophically and religiously rooted without aikido. I have been frustrated in the past, but who hasn't? If aikido was not challenging, I wouldn't do it. It is my opinion that once someone has practiced the waza long enough in a manner that does care to not bring harm to uke that it will in fact eventually change the attitude of the practicioner over time. The practice of any DO, is a confuscion theory of taking the secular as sacred. Secular practices and rituals make people feel better. It is the idea of constantly learning and perfecting something throughout your life that brings happiness from practicing a DO. It could be kyudo, kendo, iaido, gardening, basket-weaving, whatever. Let's not mistake philosophy for spirituality. I believe in the philosophy of aikido but I don't believe that I'm awakening the aiki kami every time I clap at the beginning of class.

A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.