View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 03:00 PM   #1
paladin
United_States
Respect for the Art of Aikido

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums and have recently become interested in the art of Aikido. What
attraced to Aikido was it's non-violent nature. My first tendancy in a confrontation
is to haul off and hit someone. I don't like to be pushed around and I don't like to
see my friends or family being pushed around either. So for a while I was very short
tempered and violent to those who I felt needed to be brought down a peg. So I began
to become interested in Martial Arts, such as karate, tae kwon do and wushu. However
through study of the bible I learned that might doesn't make right. I also witnessed
it first hand as I have seen conflicts escalate to point of people doing serious
harm to one another. And how even though you may win the first fight it usually
doesn't end there as the loser then retaliates with more friends or weapons and in
the end no one wins.

So I've chosen to live a more peaceful way of life, but at the same time I don't
want to be ill prepared if a confrontation does happen. (I guess it's the fighter in
me) Which is why I became interested in Aikido. It's emphasis on avoiding fights,
diffusing situations and how to get out of hostile situations with minimal damage
and effort seemed like a god send. Except for one part...the spiritual aspect. Like
I said before I have my own spirituality...and I have a firm belief in it.

So my question is do you think it's disrespectful to you (practioners of aikido) and
the Art of Aikido if I wish to learn the self defense techniques without the
spritual aspects put into it? Do you think I would offend a Sensai if I were to
bring this concern to his attention? I ask this because I have done research on
Aikido and have read of opposing sides of those who believe without the spiritual
aspects you are disrespecting Aikidoist's and the art of Aikido. I do not wish do
that. I have a deep respect for Martial Arts and Japanese culture. I plan on visitng
Japan and an Aikido dojo this upcoming March. What better way to experience the art
than to see it in it's birthplace, ya know? However if they are insepearble and one
cannot function without the other, then I will not practice it. I would rather not
practice it than bring disresepct to the Art of Aikido. So please be honest and tell
me what you think? I've got tough skin so don't be afraid to mince words.