View Single Post
Old 06-02-2004, 07:53 PM   #8
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: How many days a week ?

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
Right now I'ld like to do more but know the balance is about right for me.
I think this is very important.

There was a period where I was on the mat 5-7 days a week. I ended up suffering burnout and almost quit. My body and brain didn't have time to assimilate what I was learning so I ended up going through the motions with nothing behind them. Since then I've found my balance. Tue and Thu I do 1.5 hours as a student then 1.5 hours as instructor in the next town over. Of course I usually end up staying late in the class I teach so it can get pretty late (the longest I've stayed after is about 5.5 hours ) Recently I've also begun 2 hours of iaido on Wed. nights.

I don't really do any physical training outside the dojo. I read about MA and have long conversations with other students and instructors. I find it more beneficial to just keep it in my mind when I'm not on the mat.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."