View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 02:05 AM   #49
malc anderson
Re: How is aikido related to your spiritual path?

Hi ya all, Quite a few replies have mentioned other religions and spiritual paths and the quote ‘Aikido completes them', this is of course correct the ultimate aim of Aikido is ‘KENSHO, THE SEEING OF THE HIDDEN LIGHT' and this is at the heart of all inner paths but it is not easily gained, so most people don't bother with it although it is the most important thing a human being can try to achieve. I have noticed that no one in any of the replies mentioned Kensho, until Kensho is experienced you will never truly understand the full meaning of what O'Sensei was trying to teach and will only be learning a martial art.
This must be the reason the Great man said towards the end of his life; "I've given my life to opening the path of Aikido but when I look back NO ONE is following me." He also wrote,

"Aikido is not an art to fight with enemies and defeat them. It is a way to lead all human beings to live in harmony with each other as though everyone were one family. The Secret of Aikido is to make yourself Become One with the Universe and to go along with its natural movements. One who has attained this Secret holds the Universe in him/herself and can say, "I am the Universe." Or how about?

‘Foster and polish
The warrior spirit
While serving in the world;
Illuminate the path
According to your Inner Light (KENSHO)' or how about?

"There is no enemy for Ueshiba of Aikido. You are mistaken if you think that Budo means to have opponents and enemies and to be strong and fell them. There are neither opponents nor enemies for True Budo. True Budo is to be One with the Universe; that is to be united with the Center of the universe".

Until we experience ‘Kensho' our understanding of parts of what the Great Man taught is just guess work, logic, theories, ideals, or rules to live by, this is not the way of True Warrior ship. Have any of you had the illuminos vision of Kensho? If you had never tasted a kiwi fruit would you ever really Know what it tastes like? Until this requirement is met how can we truly say we have any real grasp of the true depth of Osensei's teaching? Malc