View Single Post
Old 05-30-2004, 08:33 PM   #10
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: Reuseable Footwork Cheat Sheets

Hey Don,

In our particular situation we had students who knew the first segments of the sequence by memory who "suddenly" couldn't remember what came next without looking. We also noticed that the newer students were taking much much longer to learn the sequence by memory than the senior students had.

One of my students is a trainer where he works. He always wants to make everything as easy as possible for the new students in class to learn things. He has made sheets, charts, and all sorts of stuff to hand out. The problem is that I don't think learning MA should be made as easy as possible. I think it should be a struggle. You should have to apply yourself and work hard to remember things. You should have to make your own flashcards or come up with your own mnemonic devices to help you remember. The process of figuring out how to learn it is as important as actually learning it, and it's something that I feel should be worked out on an individual basis.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."