View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 09:32 PM   #4
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States
Re: I need advice (opinions)

Brian,
I know this isn't what you want to hear but it's what you need to hear. RELAX AND ENJOY. Your frustration with your fellow students can be felt across the internet. I have been at the MA game for a fairly long time and I can count on one hand the number of folks that last with your over enthusiasm. I can assure you from first hand experience as a practiioner and as a witness folks that always want more rarely last long. Training is a long term event, over training retards learning more than it helps.

If/when you want more training do it in your mind. Sit perfectly still and work through your entire kata in your mind, visualize as much detail as possible: body position, feel, tension, foot position, posture, balance, etc for both you AND your uke. The more detail you can process in your mind the longer this exercise will take to the point that the real kata with a partner will seem like seconds. Furthermore, when one can visualize touch and balance affectively they are understanding at a higher level. Physical training confirms what you already learned mentally.

I remember a story about a Vietnam POW in the Hanoi Hilton that built a sail boat in his mind. He drove each nail, cut every board, brushed every stroke of paint, etc. If I remember the story correctly, when he returned home he actually built the boat in half the time it took him to visualize it. That is the level of detail I strive for when I do visualization exercises. To increase your training look in, instead of out.

mark j.