View Single Post
Old 03-13-2001, 02:53 PM   #48
akiy

Re: Randori??

Quote:
Steve Speicher wrote:
To better put it, does randori have multiple definitions??
Yes, as does the term "jiyuwaza."

Some dojo consider "jiyuwaza" to be one uke and one nage with uke doing any attack and nage responding in any way. Other dojo consider it to be the same number of people but with uke attacking in one certain way.

Some dojo consider "randori" to be the multiple-attackers scenarior which, in most Aikikai dojo I've visited, have uke attacking with ryokatadori and nage responding with the "pass-through" kind of kokyunage. Others use randori in the same manner but with uke attacking in any way.

Other dojo I have been to consider randori to have one uke and one nage with uke attacking in any way while nage does any technique (a la the first definition of jiyuwaza up above).

Other dojo take randori to be like that of judo's randori wherein the attacks and responses are freestyle and where the "roles" of uke and nage freely switch back and forth according to who holds the initative (sente).

I may have missed some, but at least these are some of the "definitions" of randori that I've encountered so far...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!