View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004, 06:23 PM   #7
SteveTrinkle
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International
United_States
Re: Ask not, what your dojo can do for you..

I think a real dojo (both the space itself and the group) is different from a gym. I think things become sticky when the dojo becomes a business. A larger sized space or organization is perhaps more complex, but the principles should be the same. I think it works best when the students want the aikido so much, that we provide the dojo space for our sensei, not the other way 'round.

Ideally we want to handle all the financial and detail work of the operation so that all our teacher has to concern himself with is teaching us. Our members' privileges include publicity, running the children's classes, setting up gasshuku and embukai, and maintaining the dojo space. Sensei never handles dues or dojo money matters. The quality of his aikido, his experience, and his teaching make this all worthwhile to me.

I think that this attitude is extremely selfish of me. The only way I can ensure my own personal growth in aikido is by doing my best to ensure the growth of the dojo I choose to be a member of. Our dojo is very, very fortunate in having our teacher. And we are very fortunate in the larger organization that supports our local club. Without dedicated senpai and eager kohai, our club would not exist.

Anyway, this is what I think and what I like.

S. Trinkle
Aikido Kenkyukai International
Pennsylvania Dojo