View Single Post
Old 05-16-2004, 05:01 PM   #40
giriasis
United_States
Re: uncooperative, overbearing....

This reminds me of an post I made here way back when I was getting ready for my 5th kyu test about 4 1/2 years ago. I posted about a troublesome uke and that he was getting angry with me. Now, I have continuously been training since then and am at 2nd kyu, and just the other night got to train with him again (as he hasn't been around for a long time and was coming back after a long hiatus). This time the experience training with him was more of a positive interchange than challenging my technique. What I learned was that in the past I didn't really understand what he was trying to do and that he didn't have to ability to help me which caused frustration on both our parts. This time we were more on an equal playing field and the interchange was positive because we understood how the techniques worked. So instead of just getting mad at each other, he was able to explain to a woman weighing 60 pounds less than him how to do AikiOtoshi to him and I was able to tell him that he was only picking me up and not using my center. It was a much more pleasant experience and we both learned as a result.

Last edited by giriasis : 05-16-2004 at 05:05 PM. Reason: clarity

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.