View Single Post
Old 05-14-2004, 04:07 AM   #7
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Re: Article: True Self Defense by George S. Ledyard

Like Mr.Clark, I cheated and had read this article before. I read it at Mr. Ledyard`s web site, where there are other excellent articles as well.

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
To the point: What is the technique, or what are the techniques, by which we determine false from true, illusion from accuracy, enslavement from freedom, etc.?
What I have been working on lately is to see how little physical force I need to apply to make a technique effective, and to also watch myself (whatever that means) when I apply more than the minimum necessary force. A few years ago, when I was injured, I was watching class and saw a guy completely unbalance his partner and then drive him into the mat. It was clear that tori only needed to give a slight push and his partner would have gone down. I then thought that what caused tori to throw in the extra power was what I think Mr. Ledyard has defined as "false self."

When I do more than is necessary to apply a technique, I think my false self is making itself known and I can at least become more conscious of it. I am still working on it, but I think it is a start.

Charles Hill