View Single Post
Old 05-13-2004, 03:15 PM   #3
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: Article: Mediating Reality, Connecting with the World by "The Mirror"

[quote=Jo AdellBut this is exactly the essence of a spiritual meditation practice! You seperate yourself from daily living, center yourself physically and mentally, and allow the creative process to move through you. Producing art does not Seperate one from the world, it integrates. Like any other spiritual path, you get out- in this case a painting which expresses the internal urge to create- by going in...[/QUOTE]
Hi, Jo!
What you say makes sense, but it doesn't match how I define, for me, spiritual.
Painting does make me a better artist, but it essentially allows me, who I am now, to keep sane *as I am*; it is reflective and integrative but not permanently transformative. I'd like to say there was more to it than that, but I have to admit that in a lifetime of painting, it that's what it is. And also, that's all I need it to be--it's a vital thing, staying sane!
The issue may be mostly semantics. My definition of spirituality, for the purposes of the column and how I live, does not include many inward directed things that I guess most people do consider spiritual practices.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield