View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 06:10 PM   #15
William Westdyke
Dojo: Aikido at the Center
Re: Poll: In your opinion, what ratio of "martial" and "art" is aikido?

I guess I'm gonna be the nail that sticks its head up. I voted 80% art, 20% martial. Basically, I took a guess at how many people I know who do aikido. Then I took out the people I though might get into some kind of physical fight in the future. From those I removed the people I figured would freak out in a fight and forget everything they learned. I figure, at the most, about 1 in 5 people I know will ever use their aikido martially. To take another point of view, I looked at the average shodans I know from the 2 places I've practiced over the years. Again, I'm just guessing, but thinking about the aikido "moves" they know, compared to the "moves" that would actually work against another experienced martial artist and I think the 80/20 ratio works well.

Don't get me wrong, I love aikido and think it can be very affective. I just feel that most of the stuff we practice day to day is just "art" or "dancing."

Here come the hammers. <GRIN>

"You, not anyone else, is 100% responsible for your own happyness and wellbeing." -- David Robertson