View Single Post
Old 05-07-2004, 01:47 PM   #8
shihonage
United_States
Re: How to get past the stress response?

Quote:
GLWeeks wrote:
At that point I felt a surge like I've never known before. I screamed 'No! Get the hell out of our house!" and started making my way towards him. At this point my wife stood up and started yelling, I took my left arm and put her behind me. The man seemed shocked that I was coming at him and put his hands out in front of him and started backing up. With me still coming at him he backed himself out of the door, at this point I locked the door and called the police. And that was it.

I got the 'tunnel vision' and in my mind (when I was yelling at him) I found myself thinking "Is that my voice?" It sounded like I was Barry white yelling into a tunnel.... Also, I felt as if I was moving in slow motion while I was moving towards him, even though my wife said it all happened very quickly.

I've wondered ever since, how the heck can you train for that surge?
This book (click) describes various methods they use at Peyton Quinn's self-defense school to get people who've never been able to hurt a fly before to go full out during andrenaline stress training.

It's not just about that though; it's a very well-written, down-to-earth and informative book.

Last edited by shihonage : 05-07-2004 at 01:49 PM.