View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 08:24 PM   #20
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: aikido vs jiu-jitsu

Quote:
William Westdyke wrote:
<Laughs> I actually cross train in Aikido and Jui-Jitsu and remember when I was starting with the Jui-Jitsu. I was always trying to use my Aikido in the Jui-Jitsu class. What I quickly discovered was not much works when you're mounted. I did manage one nikyo but what really seemed to work best was creative atemi's. They jump right off when you bite them, or pinch the fat on their side. But then it usually pisses people off. Personally, I think Clayton hit it. Take Jui-Jitsu.
I'm with you. Aikido doesn't work on the ground because we can't move on the ground. Imagine what your sensei would say if we walked by and saw you trying to apply a technique throught arm strength alone, with no body movement. It wouldn't be complimentary right? Yet that's what attempts at Aikido on the ground tend to be. You're pinned on your back or your side (for eg) so cannot move so the result is desperately trying to muscle on a nikyo or similar. Occassionally you get lucky against an unskilled opponant (there's an armbar escape that leaves uke open for a nikyo nicely), but even then it's a oncer. Once they've been caught once you won't catch them again.

No. Just like when you first walk into an Aikido dojo, the first thing you need to do is learn how to move properly, the first thing you need to do on the ground is learn how to move. How do I manuver my body when I'm on my back? Where am I trying to maneuver to? IOW what are the basic positions and how do I transition between them. Until you know that, any attempt to apply any technique from any art is futile.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"