View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 03:40 PM   #29
DanielR
Re: Poll: Should an aikido instructor date a student of theirs?

Hi Asim,

I think the poll's question is only relevant with regards to an instructor who will not willingly take advantage of a student who's as infatuated with the instructor as you describe - to a point of inability of responsible and rational behavior. Assuming this type of an instructor, I would venture to argue that it should be possible for such a person to distinguish the situation where he/she might potentially exploit a student in a vulnerable position, avoid pursuing this relationship and attempt to neutralize the situation without harming particular student or the dojo. I absolutely agree with your demand for the instructor to be the mature one at all times; I'd just add to this that the sign of maturity in a situation like this could very well be the instructor sitting down with the student for an honest talk about each other's reasons for pursuing the relationship and expectations from it.
I guess I'm just trying to find a way to approach this problem from the perspective of presumption of innocence rather than a imposing a sweeping ban to prevent unfortunate incidents.

Daniel