View Single Post
Old 05-04-2004, 02:35 PM   #1
mrmookid
United_States
Question CTS and some general questions

Hi all. I'm new to Aikido. Studied Karate around 10 years ago for 3.5 - 4 years. Then managed to work myself in to horrible shape. I've always regretted leaving martial arts and thought about starting again for years. Finally I had enough 'regrets' and joined an Aikido dojo. I've been to class 5 times so far.

One of my biggest problems is my memory and lack of coordination. I always seem to mix up which foot goes forward, which side to get up from after a fall. When my Sensei performs the moves in front of class I try hard to pay careful attention. By the time it's my turn to perform I forget the entire thing. Fellow students are patient and friendly but I wonder if I'll ever get some of these things down. I don't think I can properly perform a single move that was shown to me. I'm just wondering if this is normal. I'm patient and stubborn so I'm going to keep coming back, even if I end up holding the record for the slowest advancement!!

My other issue is that I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (I've been working with computers all my life). In Feb of this year I had surgery on my right hand. I still have issues with pain in both hands but I think I'm going to skip the surgery on my left hand. I'm wondering if anyone else here has had surgery for CTS and if they study Aikido. I've been taking it slow and haven't had much difficulty with pains but I'm just concerned that a few years from now I may still have the symptoms and that it will hinder my training.

Many thanks and best wishes to you!