View Single Post
Old 03-09-2001, 04:49 AM   #6
petra
Dojo: samourais,Eindhoven
Quote:
Erik wrote:
We spend a lot of time questioning whether the art is effective or not but I'm not really sure what constitutes effectiveness. I think the tendency is to think we must be able to whip all the folks in all the other arts or it isn't effective. In other words, if one Gracie jiu jitsu dude can kick our butts, our art sucks. I'm not so sure on this one, so just for whatever's sake, here's some questions/thoughts I had on effectiveness.

If you got into it with someone, and significantly hurt them (broke something or worse). Is your aikido effective?
No. This may sound crazy but IMHO what you do then is not aikido, it's selfdefence, aikido to me is a study of body and mind not how can I destroy my attacker.

Quote:
If you escaped an attack unharmed (or significantly less harmed than you might have been), while only getting off the line, is your aikido effective?
Yes, mind over body.

Quote:
What if you got off the line before the attack even began by just being more aware of someone's intent. In other words, the attack never happens. Is your aikido effective?
Yes, mind over mind

Quote:
What if because of your aikido practice you responded differently in a verbal confrontation. Is your aikido effective?
Yes, mind connecting with other mind

Quote:
What if you learned something about yourself through your training but you never physically use your aikido. Is your aikido effective?
Yes, consciousness and growth

Quote:
What if because of all the blending and connecting that most of us do in our practice, you found yourself able to be more open, receptive and willing to listen to your mother, girlfriend, boss, whatever? Is your aikido effective?
Yes, definately and a great improvement to your life.

The only way to find out if you will be able to defend yourself is when you are physically attacked, I try to avoid that as much as I can. Does that make my aikido ineffective? No, of course not, I study because it is fun and somehow it makes me more pleasant to be around with.

Petra

I haven't failed, I have found 10.000 ways that won't work.