Old 07-08-2000, 01:55 PM   #15
DJM
Dojo: Two Rivers Dojo, York
Ai symbol

Quote:
Aiki1 wrote:
Quote:
DJM wrote:
Aikido is Aikido, styles don't really matter all that much, since the principles are the same across the board.
Here's a personal observation - I've seen and/or practiced many different styles of Aikido over the years, from Ki Society to Aikikai to "Saotome-style" to "Seagal-style" to Iwama to Tomiki and more, and I have found that although similar or the same words are used to describe or explain the principles, in actuality they can be very, very different in how they work; so much so that the essence of the art being practiced is actually different.

I'll give one example - in some styles of practice, sometimes a throw is achieved because if the uke doesn't take the fall, he/she will get struck. The fall is to a large degree a product of the uke protecting him/herself. In some other styles, like mine for instance, this is a completely unacceptable method and process. So here's an example where the principle is completely opposite....

There are many other examples that I have seen and experienced.

Just an interesting topic of discussion for me.
Larry,
I have to disagree here. What you're talking about is a difference in technique, and perhaps temperament, not principle..
We came across this in a seminar last weekend, where Ken Cottier Sensei described some different 'styles' of Irimi nage. One was favoured by Tohei sensei, where the finger moved in to poke the eye of uke. There was a shift away at last moment so there would be no contact, but uke doesn't know that - or more specifically his body doesn't. You get a similar effect to what you describe above - uke throws himself, but it obeys the same principles as a 'normal' irimi nage, which is to get a reaction from uke and to magnify it.. Another example of this was Chiba sensei's technique which almost resulted in him having to pick uke up off the mat to finish the throw after a very forceful first movement. Still the same principles, but a very different temperament..
Peace,
David

Sunset Shimmering,
On Water, Placid and Calm,
A Fish Touches Sky
--
David Marshall