View Single Post
Old 04-25-2004, 01:01 AM   #31
robbsims
Dojo: Hakodate Aikido Dojo
Japan
Ki Symbol Re: Lack of spirituality

Hello all, this is my first post in this topic area.

I have some opinions on the question Dass raised at the beginning. I have always studied Aikido in Japan and always in Japanese. To be honest, I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

I have never had Aikido explained to me in English so I have a hard time expressing my opinions. So, if I sound condisending, rude, blunt, or inflammitory, that is not my intent.

Learning Aikido to be able to defend your self is good, but it is not the whole story. Self defence is a secondary result of Aikido. The primary result of Aikido is your personal development.
Quote:
L. Camejo wrote:
Interesting topic.

To assume that training in Aikido "should" leave one with some spiritual or philosophical insights is like saying that going to Church "will" get you saved. The result has much more to do with you than the person at the front of the room imo.

L.C.
I think, Only me, Larry here is has just missed the mark. Going to church will not get you saved, but praying will. Praying is a very spiritual practice. Aikido, if you practice it earnestly, will grant you insights into your self.

Spirituality is about beliefs and faiths, things that are individually personal to us all. I believe, that a sensei doesnt need to talk about the spiritual essence of Aikido. A good sensei can help you experience the "essence" of Aikido by helping you to improve your abilities.

I hope this makes sense to you, or helps you in some small way.

Robert Sims