View Single Post
Old 04-13-2004, 10:09 PM   #68
willy_lee
Dojo: City Aikido
I *think* this will be my last post on this thread.
Quote:
Tim Rohr (Magma) wrote:
As you say, we each value what we value. I cannot help that I see no value in the option you describe, however. It is as if you want to learn Aikido, but you do not want to use Aikido to learn.
Um, you can do what you want, I know I will. Can we do this without the condescending tone, however?
Quote:
Can things be alike at all, or are all things different? One thing informs another, informs another, and informs another. We say someone is, "as sharp as a tack," or we say of someone, "she is a pistol."
Yes. We call these "metaphors". Or "figurative language".
Quote:
On the mats we make a physical poetry. If that does not carry with us off of the mats, into interpersonal poetry, ethical poetry, visual poetry, etc., then our time training is wasted.
Personally I find physical poetry to be a pretty decent result in itself. Certainly not everyone wishes to glean non-physical benefits from aikido.
Quote:
There is value in treating your obi with respect (in not letting it lie on the ground), and as a metaphor (not washing it). You can, of course, choose not to. It is your own path. But discussions of carrying aikido beyond the threshold of the dojo then become silly, don't they?
There is value in treating most things with respect, certainly objects you train with. Anything can be treated as a metaphor. I really don't see how me not treating my obi according to your personal metaphor has anything to do with me carrying aikido out of the dojo.

=wl

Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.