Thread: Aikido and Judo
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2004, 10:53 AM   #17
shihonage
United_States
Quote:
Nathan Gidney (p00kiethebear) wrote:
There was an experience that i've always remembered because it really changed my thinking a bit.

Some of my friends gave me bad time because of my "new age hippie dancing" One time one of them even challenged me and i started to step out of the way but he got to me first and gave me a good sock in the stomach, knocking the wind out of me. Some of the other guys started chuckling a bit. A million things were running through my mind, anger, frustration, confusion, fear. All I could bring myself to do is get my breath back and say "What the hell did that prove?"

I tried to say it meaningfully. But when i said it, it sounded as if someone just gave me a real awful insult, and the comeback I gave only made me look more pathetic. A few of them laughed again as i said this.

Shortly after I walked home feeling miserable almost on the verge of tears, thinking about the other martial arts around the town that were available, and went to sleep.

But then the next morning I really did think about that. "What did you prove?"

I keep thinking back to that question. what DID they prove? That they can hurt someone? why would you want to prove that? Why would anyone want to prove that? What an awfull thing to prove.

And that was when i decided I really wanted to commit to my training.

Don't know how relevent that was to this thread. but for some reason reading all of these posts made me think of that experience.
Well it proved that your Aikido does not work for you as well in practice as it does in theory.

You might want to research into the atemi which is built into the techniques, as well as why the Aikido footwork is there.

I've noticed that during jiyu-waza with random attacks, munetsuki-ikkyo/munetsuki shihonage and variations is a lot safer to apply than munetsuki kotegaeshi.

Even if you can't apply a technique, you are still out of reach.

Or you can enter and sock your friend in the face with your other hand.

In overall I find that jiyuwaza with random ENERGETIC attacks (shomen, yokomen, munetsuki, grab) is a very interesting thing to do and I feel like there's actually some dose of "real" in it - as long as you and your partner do everything to make the attacks connect as fast as possible while not terribly disbalancing yourselves.

And atemi - here's a dose of reality...

I couldn't even tenkan an energetic 8-year-old kid who while giggling kept trying to "tackle" me until I started doing a quick "poof" implied atemi toward his face just before i would turn and let him pass me.

That's because in real life even uncoordinated 8 year old kids "track". Atemi, which is built into most techniques (and quite a few should start with it), is partially there to reduce the tracking and create a moment of hesitation which allows to do a decisive movement.

Last edited by shihonage : 04-08-2004 at 10:58 AM.