Thread: Aikido and Judo
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2004, 08:41 PM   #10
thatoldfool

Dojo: Aikido de la Montagne
All my martial arts friends laughed when I told them I was starting Aikido.

"Man, nobody uses Aikido on the street. You'd get your ass kicked"

Three years later, I can say that they were both right and wrong. They're right, because if you "just train," I don't know that you will achieve an applicable level of proficiency. What do I mean by "just train" ?

Well, it struck me that Aikido will be whatever I make it be. Once I have a technique down, instead of practicing it statically, even if we're not doing randori, I try to begin the movement immediately, to make it dynamic. I stay after class and practice iriminage against various attacks, which come at mixed intervals, so that I can't prepare for them. I have those who have practiced other martial arts show me how to "really" punch, and get them to show me their counters and attacks in a non competitive environment.

Remember high school? Remember college? Maybe you can get a "B" or a "C+" by going to class, but you won't get that "A" unless you do your homework. Likewise, with Aikido - I really believe that the "after class time" is what will tune your Aikido to an effective level.

"Best to be like water,
Which benefits the ten thousand things
And does not contend."