View Single Post
Old 04-06-2004, 04:01 PM   #24
willy_lee
Dojo: City Aikido
Quote:
james bennington (mantis) wrote:
I am referring to once the blow has been thrown and your body's center is on a drop and your feet are apart (as in a step). I do agree prior to that that one can track and adjust, but there is a point of an attack where uke is committed to his action and must follow through with it.
and
Quote:
Do they? A 90 mile an hour pitch doesn't give you much adjustment time. I never said they swing blindly, it's hand eye coordination and practice that will put the bat where they think it should be.
I think one of the issues of contention is that people in aikido often seem to have a vastly exaggerated notion of how early in a punch or swing the motion becomes non-tracking.

In the case of a baseball swing, a skilled batter is tracking the ball well past when the bat starts its swing. In fact, often batters start the bat moving before the ball is released, and depend on their reflexes to stop the swing if they need to. From a top-down view, if you just consider the bat's rotation in a plane parallel to the ground, it may travel a little more than 180 degrees before the point of contact. Probably batters can check their swing through at least 120 of those degrees, and are making adjustments through 150-160 degrees.

In the same way I'd guess that a skilled puncher is probably tracking during 90% of the time from when the brain says "start punch" and the point of impact.

So whether there is tracking or not is not the issue. The issue is that in "dojo time" often unrealistic notions of when to track and when not to track are used.

=wl

Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.