View Single Post
Old 04-06-2004, 01:18 PM   #20
mantis
Quote:
Erik Haselhofer (Erik) wrote:
In a sense once the blow is thrown I agree with the no-tracking idea, however, the problem occurs just prior to that when the attack is being engaged.
I agree. I think because we have different semantics at each school, the words bring up different connotations.

I am referring to once the blow has been thrown and your body's center is on a drop and your feet are apart (as in a step). I do agree prior to that that one can track and adjust, but there is a point of an attack where uke is committed to his action and must follow through with it.

Quote:
Erik Haselhofer (Erik) wrote:
athletes constantly adjust their swing based on the pitch. They don't just swing blindly at the pitch as you imply.
Do they? A 90 mile an hour pitch doesn't give you much adjustment time. I never said they swing blindly, it's hand eye coordination and practice that will put the bat where they think it should be.

As far as attacks, I study a version of tomiki aikido,

and all of our basic attacks are a hand straight to the chin area, and the balance is broken on the first step uke makes. It's a very fast timing, and there is no leading as in other styles I've seen, so i can't see how uke can track and still have his balance or have power in his attack.

all this being said, unless we actually see each other and demonstrate our ideas, we'll never get the entire picture through writing about it.

thanks for your comments.

Last edited by mantis : 04-06-2004 at 01:24 PM.