View Single Post
Old 04-06-2004, 09:21 AM   #14
mantis
The 2 things I described don't give advantages to either uke or tori, but are necessary to depict what a real attack is like.

First off tracking is impossible in reality if there is the intent to hurt someone.

Look at boxing as a good example.

Boxers don't track their punches. They jab and set you up for the power punch. If their power punch is off by a few inches it will not be effective, but you will never see a boxer track his power punch. He will throw it, then change his footing, then throw again.

Another example that most people can relate to is hitting a baseball. You CAN NOT track a baseball. You will swing the bat and that's it. You make a committed attempt to hit the ball and nothing else. If another ball comes at you, you have to realign and swing again. This realignment is the recovery step.

When you strike, you focus on a spot. once your body is in a forward motion and uke commits to a certain attack, he can not physically change the direction of his punch without changing his posture and alignment first. If you did, you would fall over.

Hence a recovery step.

a recovery step means uke gets himself back on balance and is ready for another attack. Without it, uke would be like a statue waiting to get knocked over.

I haven't seen how you train, but for me, these things have to be done to simulate a real attack, even if you are training in slow motion. When you train slow, certain laws of physics don't apply, but you MUST adhere to them anyway.