View Single Post
Old 04-05-2004, 08:13 AM   #9
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Hello Justin,

I see from your profile that you are a student of Jack Poole. I knew Mr Poole when he was a member of the BAF and the connection has been maintained in the Netherlands via Simon Deering in Haarlem.

Simon is a very valued member of the organization of which I am the chief instructor, but maintains a close relationship with Jack Poole, who is a ranking member of Yoshinkan, but also comes to teach on a regular basis a dojo in the Netherlands affiliated to the Aikikai.

So, what part of Mr Poole's aikido is "pure"? To my mind it is 'his' aikido, not Yoshinkan or Aikikai. From all the tapes I have seen of him teaching in the Netherlands, there is not much difference from what I have seen from his earlier Aikikai days.

But Mr Poole has had the experience to create his own aikido. There is a controversy as to the length of this experience (I have seen the correspondence on Mr Ellis's website), but I have no doubt that it is entirely adequate.

Basically, the problem I have with your post is that you are a junior instructor in Mr Poole's organization, but are seeking advice on the Internet about how to teach. I think you should seek this advice form Mr Poole himself. In my opinion, Jack should be teaching you how to teach, just as my own teachers have taught me. Is this not the case?

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury