View Single Post
Old 04-02-2004, 01:04 PM   #13
David Edwards

Dojo: Genbukan, Macclesfield
United Kingdom
Add Ken Cottier to that list, too. For him though, and a number of the ones on your list, they moved on to Aikido and never taught / trained in Judo again.

Coincidentally, I also went to a Judo class on Wednesday night, something I've been intending to do for quite some time, at my friend's club (that is, she is a student there, not the instructor).

Warm up was just a few quick gentle stretches, then into nage undo, that was pairing up and going through a throw until just the point where you have them and could throw them, then take it no further, and go back and do it a few times.

Next, light randori. This was fun, as I found they didn't know how to use their seika tanden, or, rather, didn't realise they had one. So I didn't exert myself at all, and just used my centre and posture to negate anything they tried to do, and just waited for a technique to hand itself to me on a plate for me to do (it always did within about 10 seconds). One amusing thing about submission fighting: Held above-mentioned friend down in Ikkyo, and she didn't submit, so I said:

"This is the part where you submit"

"But you're not hurting me"

"Oh.. right.. well.. if you insist"

"AAargh!" *tap tap*

Just speaking to her on MSN as I write this... turns out that that arm hurt the next day if she extended it... Eeps.

There was one guy, not very skilled (orange belt) but quite strong, on whom I wasn't able to put on dozen techniques a minute, and also learned that a lot of the non-Aikido techniques I know (from Jujitsu and Ninjutsu, mainly) are illegal in Judo. As I discovered when immobilizing his arm with acupressure / doing a triangular leg choke in a way that admittedly would snap his neck if I took it too far, but is safe when done in a controlled fashion, etc.

We had a short session of refereed competition, and in my own competition, I was against a blue-belt I hadn't met before... was carefully minding my centre, keeping my posture, letting him use up all his strength (and he judging from how much he was leaping about and running around and the expression on his face, he was) then he made quite a good hip throw and I... forgot where I was (i.e., not in an Aikido dojo where we would co-operate) and took ukemi for him, lol. And, what's more, because my ukemi was good, it made his throw look excellent, and he got full marks. Hehe, never mind.

We played a game whereby we all held each others' sleeves in a circle, and tried to sweep the legs of those next to us. I found people on both sides of me pulling away from me rather than trying to attack me, net result being that I was struggling not to be pulled apart most of the time... swept a few ppl away in the process though

We did quite a bit French Randori afterwards, in which we would throw once, then our partner throw once, then we throw once, etc. I grabbed a guy I hadn't been able to play with before, an immature prat that my friend had told me about, and he'd been pretty offensive to and about her while I was there too... so, I let him try to throw me for about five or ten minutes at a time, while I just stood in kamae posture and did my very best (and, for once, succeeded, lol) to exhibit immovable posture (fudo no shisei, IIRC). All the while asking him things like "What's your favourite throw, do that one... what's your best throw, try that (all the while keeping a pleasant demeanour), I tell you what, I don't know much Judo, show me some of the easiest throws that you need to do for yellow belt (and I didn't let him do them sucessfully, was just an immovable uke for him... he was a green belt btw)... eventually he gives up, and says, you have a go, so I throw him once, quickly but safely, and say "Your go again", and this goes on for ages... Perhaps mean of me, but I think he deserved it. I'll admit to "helping" him to get up (using sankyo) a few times (gently, but enough that it hurt just a little)... does this make me a bad Aikidoka?

Anyway, the Sensei here said that he had quite a respect for Aikido, and knew my Sensei from a long time ago. He seemed a nice guy who took things quite light-heartedly, and was not your stereotypical macho tough-guy Judoka. Enjoyable as the class was... I don't think I actually learned any Judo from it. IMHO, Judo's a good thing to learn... but for me... not in this life. Too busy with Aikido and other things.

Last edited by David Edwards : 04-02-2004 at 01:16 PM.

It's a kind of magic