View Single Post
Old 04-01-2004, 03:27 PM   #9
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
Quote:
James Growney (jgrowney) wrote:
Paul Sanderson-Cimino,

Interesting comments. Particularly about the development of ego. So in what way has your religion changed or enhanced your waza?

Anders Bjonback,

In which scenario was your waza better; working for your benefit or for the benefit of the kids?
My aikido is better when working with more advanced people, people with better ukemi who don't let me get away with doing stupid things. Because I was working with beginners when working with the kids, my waza was worse. But so what? It was a much more meaningful experience. I went though some psychological trouble in middle school, being in an uncaring system that was toatally unsympathetic with my learning disabilities, I was almost suicidal and my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder almost ruled my life; I had no friends whatsoever, and no real friends until I came to college, so I always felt alone. I'm glad there's something out there to help kids who have gone through way worse things than I did, and I was glad to participate in it. I found it healing in a weird way.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith