View Single Post
Old 03-30-2004, 04:03 PM   #17
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Quote:
tyler crandall (crand32100) wrote:
I've been studying the yin/yang principle. The idea of taking someone's balance doesn't seem to fit this. Every time that I think about it, I come to the conclusion that if my attitude is to take the other person's balance, then I am essentially trying to make the black side bigger than the white, or visa versa.
Actually, in my view the Yin/Yang concept does explain it. If Uke attacks with 8 units of force, then it may take only 2 units to unbalance him and do technique. If he attacks with 4 units (less energy for me to use), then I may have to use 6 units (more energy exerted by me) to achieve the same result as previously. If we match exact amounts for energy (5 for 5), we may have perfect balance at an instant in time, but it may not change overall the Yin/Yang relationship of the matter. Remember there are also the concepts of Greater Yin, Lesser Yang, Absolute Yin etc. stemming from the basic Yin/Yang relationship. Borrowing from Lynn's idea, by entering and blending while maintaining one's own balance, one becomes part of this relationship and is able to redirect the attacking force in the necessary direction to restore balance to the conflict of energies. Manipulation of Yin/Yang depending on the constantly changing reality of the engagement is what creates the technique. To do this, Tori must be balanced both internally and externally.
Quote:
Yin/yang also seems to be a principle of making one out of two.
It can also be making 2 or more out of one, remember, the Yin/Yang we refer to is a manifestation of Tai Chi, which came out of oneness or Wuchi, complementary opposites coming out of a singular energy.
Quote:
That way, even the uke can in balance even if they are upside down in mid air. From this perspective, I'm not sure that anyone can really take your balance from you. It's more likely that you can loose your frame of reference from which you balance yourself- the other person's movement can make it easy for that to happen.
I like this concept. Imho, what Tyler describes above is part of the aim of Ukemi - utilising the energy of a throw to restore one's balance and recover ones composition, even if one may be upside down in the air.

Just a few thoughts.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca