View Single Post
Old 03-26-2004, 09:02 AM   #21
Chad Sloman

Dojo: Aikido of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
United_States
Maybe I'm just stupid but...... are we talking about philosophy, religion, or spirituality? I don't even really know what spirituality is, so I don't know if I have it in my training or not. I can tell you that I don't believe "spirits" play a role in my training. I think around the world these days, you don't have a lot of people practicing the shinto religion. I don't practice shinto and I don't think it denegrates my training. As far as philosophy goes, that's a hot topic that gets people riled up. If you don't agree with the philosophy of your aikido instructor, find somewhere else to go. I know that if I went to a dojo where the instructor was all about ripping peoples arms from their sockets for calling them a bad name, then I would cease to go there. I don't think I have the authority to say that it's "wrong" aikido, but I do have the authority to say that it's "wrong" for me.

A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.