Thread: Fear
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2000, 04:34 AM   #18
dbgard
Dojo: FSU Aikido Club
Circle to Nick

Nick-san,

Nobody, not even the samurai of old, could be raised not to feel fear or pain. They weren't cyborgs in my opinion. The fact that they didn't show fear or pain through facial and body expression certainly does not mean they did not feel it. Seppuku was excruciatingly painful I believe. So was the way in which Jesus Christ bled to death with nails in his hands and feet. Samurai (and Jesus) lived lives of self-sacrifice, with glimpses of pleasure I'm sure, and certainly wouldn't have chosen to die unless they absolutely had no other choice. In conclusion, Jesus was a Samurai!!!

Gandhi was a samurai, only his spear had transcended (oh no, not that word again) the "evolution etched in blood" (Saotome Mitsugi Shihan "Aikido and the Harmony of Nature") and become a hikari no jo, a symbol of his divine enlightenment. I read Herman Hesse's Siddhartha, and remember liking the book very much, he was undoubtedly a samurai in his own right. I have a feeling Mohammed was too, but I have not read very much of the Koran and other Holy Muslim texts as of yet. Were these people Messengers? Yes, I think so, and so were/are many other people just like you and me. 8).

-Drew-

hara-kiri for the fear-mongers,
sushi-waza for the peace-makers.

--The great dream shared among my friends--

--Please see [u]Aikido and the Harmony of Nature[u] [i]illustration:[i] p. 125. Mitsugi-san, I taught you aikido in my former life, and no