View Single Post
Old 03-16-2004, 08:54 PM   #8
Erik
Quote:
Brad Medling (ikkitosennomusha) wrote:
The scnerio I proposed was from my own experience in the early days. There was many occasions I would drive a one hour trip, one way, to train and since I was the only one to show up, sensei felt like cancelling class!
Brad, in fairness to the instructor, it sucks when one or none show up. It can, in fact, be extremely discouraging. I was teaching one night a week at a school that was extremely small and starving for students. I never knew if anyone would show up and I have no idea how it's stayed open. It must be a financial disaster.

One night I got caught in traffic and was late, first time that year as I'm rarely late, and it so happened that a new student had shown up. He came by later and mentioned it as I worked out by myself. After he left I realized that I was starting to hope that no one would show up because I was mostly doing private lessons, or nearly as often, no lesson.

When I realized that I closed the class for a couple of reasons. One is that while the dojo was open every night they might be better off if they taught fewer classes. Get more people on the mat at the same time and make it seem busier than it was. Secondly, if the teacher isn't wanting to teach there is nothing worse for the student. Larger classes can build a nice energy that can cover a less energetic teacher but one-on-one there is just no way.

Anyways, you asked.

By the way, it's Erik and Jo. I've met Jo and she's not a Joe.