View Single Post
Old 03-01-2001, 10:50 AM   #38
BC
There's been some serious thread drift here, and I don't think the flaming is helping any...

Anyway. I think that ten years from now the aikido community will be reflective of some significant changes that are just now starting to arise today. One of the biggest will be how the art's leaders dealt with the transition from being an art taught and led by aikidoka one or two generations removed from its founder to individuals three or four generations removed. At the same time the art will most likely be even more international in its membership, and I think the leadership within the various aikido organizations will reflect that. I think that as others have pointed out, there could be more organizations formed as a result of fissures between today's existing ones. But at the same time, I think that there might be more collaboration and cooperation between these future organizations than what we see today. Essentially, new walls will be created and old walls will be brought down. This seems to be pretty consistent with other aspects of humanity. Also, many people have said that today aikido is one of the fastest growing martial arts in tems of increasing popularity, athough the number of people practicing it is still significantly smaller than that of judo, karate, TKD, etc. I think this accellerated growth will probably slow in ten years, but the number of people practicing could be on a parity with some of the more popular arts today.

For me, in ten years I hope that I will still be alive and practicing aikido, and that I will be able to utilize my aikido in more aspects of my life. Like dealing with my future-to-be teenage children.

Robert Cronin