View Single Post
Old 03-16-2004, 08:51 AM   #16
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Hey Rachel,

You've been to my sensei's dojo, it's got that same long narrow thing going on. It was definitely and adjustment from our last place that was more of a big square, but everybody was able to work it out because they had to. I don't think it's really that big of a deal. New folks won't know the difference anyway, for them it will be perfectly normal. Because of our dojo's long narrowness when the classes are large we often work in groups of 3 or 4 or have a line at each end.

It does make me appreciate the place I teach at in Kalamazoo which has a 30' x 60' mat area on top of tires (and a sauna for those cold Michigan nights ) We didn't start out that big though, I think when I started there the mat area was something like 18' x 12' with one corner cut off to make a walkway.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."