View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 05:02 PM   #27
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Talking

Quote:
David Enevoldsen (Atomicpenguin) wrote:
Natural rhythm is also an important and integral part of a kokuynage. The challenge then, as I see it, is to sync the breath of the motion to your own natural movement, with the motion of your partner. This is a heck of a lot to deal with. This is another reason why I view this idea as an advanced level concept.

It's important that we understand both of these components and not get too wrapped up in one or the other. If I argue breath to the exclusion of rhythm it's like arguing an emphasis on ki to the exclusion of posture. Look at Tohei. He's spent his life spreading an understanding of ki. When I think of Tohei, I think of ki principles. Posture is not one of the first tenets that pops into mind. However, if you've ever seen him, his posture and precision is incredible. He obviously understands that each is a component (hence the principles).
to the first paragraph, this would be where I would ask you to grab my wrists and then ask you to tell me when I am breathing as I throw you.

to the second paragraph, he does teach very specific things about posture and precision if you pay attention. So actually posture is one of the first things that pops into my mind. It's certainly one of the first things I have to work on with my students.

the ki principles are just really aspects of the same thing - coordination of mind and body. Natural breathing is an aspect of that too. So in kokyudosa, activiely trying to sync you breath is IMO a mistake, you breathe calmly to relax and let connection happen and then go together.

Craig