View Single Post
Old 03-11-2004, 08:00 PM   #24
ikkitosennomusha
Hi Mr. Clark!

Thanks for your info as well. My involment with Japanese instruction was in the art of Aikido. As far as the aikido I was learning at the place I spent 4 yrs., it was technical and legitimate. The falling out was due to personal differences that I was being continuously scrutinized for. To name names, I was in the AAA for 4 yrs. It was generally pleasant with a few unmentionables. Nonetheless, when Toyoda-shihan passed on, I expereienced the AAA disseminating as an organization. Most senior students split to do their own thing for reasons I will not post here.

After my departure, I became a Ronin. In the day of the samurai, when the japanese government no longer required their services, they became wonderers of the land without a purpose. The were masterless. So this is much of what I have become. No longer under the direct scrutiny of a master, I became a Ronin going to different places to train, seminars, weekend events, etc. I hope to be involved with an organization soon. It will most likely be with the USAF western region when I get settled. I was also considering the ASU for location purposes.

If I were to open a dojo, I would follow the methodology of Toyoda-shihan since this is what is pressed upon me. I was also trascend some teachings of Kobayashi-shihan who is nothing short of an Aikido genius!

I am a detailed person so naturally I would be interested in my students not only learning what I transcend, but I want them to pick up on those fine nuances that separates the good from the great. This takes time, perhaps years.

I would also like for a student to be able to think. A technique should never be forced. It is like fluid movement, flowing between the obstruction that unbalances the universe. It should come naturally. When I start to see this "fluidity" in a student, I will know that great things are happening; that person is indeed becoming one with the universe. When you shave wood along the grain, it is much smoother than shaving against so, it is easier. A technique should flow!

No matter what the art, an instructor should always provide a controlled environment, not tolerate horse play, organize instruction to utilize time efficiently, and most of all HAVE FUN!!

regards,

Brad Medling